RIO VISTA HOUSE PT 2






The windows in this house were just gorgeous. Depending on where you were in the house……the sun would come streaming through them.
They were made in England and shipped out in pieces to be placed carefully in the different rooms as they all told a story of the Orange Groves, Wheat & Grapevines, which make up a huge part of Mildura. 
















This room, with its beautiful floors and beautifully restored wallpaper, was Mrs Chaffeys’ bedroom. 
The bed was iron, with the chamber pot under the bed as the “lavatory” was way down the back yard. 
The ceramic pot on the bed was her Hot Water Vessel which the maids would put in her bed every night (as we all know how cold Mildura can get in the winter with their frosts.) 

The strip of material halfway down her bed was called
“The Invalid Tidy”
It was where she kept her reading glasses, handkerchief and medications.






Through the door was the sewing room…..and also the bathroom. 

As it was back then in those days……the boiler was lit once a week and water was heated for a bath. 
There was 8 children to bath in that house…...😳…..and it made me smile when I saw this room as Bertie used to always remind me when it was my bath time, (when I was young…and didn’t want to have a bath).…how lucky I was to get the bath to myself.

He had 11 brothers and sisters and by the time it was his turn….the water was like dirty dishwater……and freezing cold 🥶🥶🥶
It made me laugh every time he told me that story….he could laugh too….looking back on it. 🥰

And on that note I will finish part 2 as I have more photos so there may be a few more “parts” to come. 
Feel free to skip past at any time. 🤣🤣

Stay safe everyone ❤️❤️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MORE TRAVELS BACK TO TWEED HEADS.

SEA LAKE, & MANANGATANG REVISTED.

FROM MUSWELLBROOK TO GRAFTON NSW